February 1, 2010

Welcome to My Blog

A little about me professionally…

As one of the principal founders of Engineered Software, I have been in the software and technology business since 1982. My experience in engineering started as a Midshipman at the US Merchant Marine Academy, the highlight at school was a year at sea on a merchant ship. After graduation I received a commission in the US Navy and was qualified as a Nuclear Watch Officer and later qualified in Submarines. These times as sea taught me the importance of knowing how the shipboard systems operate; because it they didn’t work we didn’t come home.

After the Navy I worked as a start-up and test engineer with Ebasco services where I started up power plants. Here I also was involved starting up and testing various systems within a plant. One major difference with my land-based job is at the end of the day I got to go home. In addition, if I had any question about how something should run, I had plenty of smart people to ask.

During the 1982 recession I decided it was a great time to start a company, so I quit my job at Ebasco and started Engineered Software. Since that time I have been privileged to work with the best people ever assembled in a small company to develop engineering software.

Why I am starting this blog…

What I like about blogging is that it allows me to continue what I have been doing for years, but to a much wider audience. I enjoy talking to people, learning, analyzing and discussing how things work, as well as making them more efficient. It’s in my engineering nature. I give presentations and training regularly on how to optimize piping systems, and how and where companies can save money.

However, I also listen to customers’ and seminar attendees’ biggest concerns, and go out to find an answer. I plan to present those investigations in this blog as well as identifying areas where our industry may fall short, and offer solutions. I have a wide variety of experience in operating, designing, and maintaining fluid piping systems. I also have experience in businesses start-up, management, developing new products, all the things that ensure a business runs smoothly since 1982.

You may be surprised to know…


I love flying. In fact, I am a pilot. One of my biggest joys, outside of being a father and grandpa, is piloting my own airplane. I really have the bug and typically log between 150 to 200 hrs per year.

There are two reasons why I love flying. The first reason is flying is a lot like running a business; you must have a clear understanding of everything involved with the flight before you start. The condition of the plane, condition of the pilot, airport conditions, weather along the route, navigation, instrument procedures, in short you need to be prepared.

You also need to continually think ahead, plan for the unexpected and be ready to execute that plan when required. The second reason is that when I’m flying I must concentrate solely on the flight, and block out any distractions. It gives me an opportunity to escape my life on the ground and enjoy the flight.

This blog not only focus on the finer points of the fluid piping system and pump industries, but topics of current interest to hopefully help increase the knowledge that is readily available. I do have a disclaimer for the posts on this blog, and you should read it before you make any further judgments. To make this blog more valuable, I welcome all of your comments and questions. I can be reached at blogger@eng-software.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not leave leave links unless they are relevant to the discussion and post. If you want to promote your own blog or website, we suggest submitting a request to be a guest blogger on this blog. Submit your requests to blogger@eng-software.com with a brief description of your topic. Thanks!