December 21, 2010

My New Year’s Pumping Resolutions

Estimated Reading Time: 2 minutes 22 seconds. Read Later

This year my New Year’s Resolutions are going to be a little different. Instead of making resolutions for myself I would like to make resolutions for all of my readers. These resolutions are appropriate for design engineers as well as owners and operators of pumped systems. Using this approach I don’t have to break any of my own resolutions, and if you wish to break them, then you shouldn’t feel any guilt either. But I promise these are for the good of your plant designs.

So here goes, my resolutions for YOU, and the pumps in YOUR plant.
  1. “I resolve to get a copy of the manufacturer’s supplied pump curve for each centrifugal pump in my plant.”
    • By having the pump curve, you will be able to determine if the pump is operating properly. The manufacturer’s supplied pump curve is the most important document needed for pump system maintenance, without it you are flying blind.
  2. “I resolve to install pressure gages on the pump suction and pump discharge for each pump in my plant.”
    • Having accurate pressure gages on the pump suction and discharge allows you to easily determine the differential pressure across each pump. When used in conjunction with the pump curve (acquired by resolution 1) you can determine the flow rate through the pump.
  3. “I resolve to develop a means of determine the flow rate through a pump.”
    • This one is very flexible, it can either be an installed meter (only if you have the cash), a clamp on Doppler meter, or determine the power supplied to the motor. Using the flow rate, the pump curve (resolution 1) and the differential pressure values (resolution 2) you’ll be able to determine if the pump is operating on the pump curve. This is very helpful in troubleshooting the operation of any centrifugal pump.
  4. “I resolve to determine where each pump is operating in relation to the pumps Best Efficiency Point.”
    • If the pumps operational flow rate is between 80% to 120% of the pumps BEP listed on the manufacturer’s pump curve (resolution 1) then that pump should have a long and prosperous life.
  5. “I resolve to investigate all pump mechanical seal or bearing failures this year.”
    • If the pump is not operating between 80% to 120% around the BEP (resolution 4) the cause of the failure is most likely due to shaft deflection cause by continually running the pump outside the pumps sweet spot.
  6. “I resolve to look into performing a pumped system assessment per the ASME EA-2 Energy Assessment for Pumping Systems.”
    • The standard can be purchased from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Website www.asme.org, or the Hydraulic Institute Website www.pumps.org.
If you follow all these resolution then your pumped systems (or your customer’s pumped systems) will be running efficiently. You’ll have reduced your operating costs, reduced your maintenance costs, or reduced your capitol cost, all while increasing your plants reliability and profitability. Now wouldn’t you feel better if you were able to keep these resolutions rather than sweating off a couple of pounds at the gym?

That’s my list, but I’d like to hear your professional New Year’s Resolution Lists. Maybe I forgot something on my list? On the other hand, maybe you have other goals for 2011? Leave me a comment or better yet, send me an email, as I have resolved this year to once again answer all questions or comments.

In addition if you would like to be a guest blogger let me know, always interested in finding out what others are thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not leave leave links unless they are relevant to the discussion and post. If you want to promote your own blog or website, we suggest submitting a request to be a guest blogger on this blog. Submit your requests to blogger@eng-software.com with a brief description of your topic. Thanks!